Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spring in Muskoka


March 6th, 2012 - Seagulls out on Muskoka River
They congregated there in great numbers for several days!


As a result of a leg injury last summer, there hasn't been too much opportunity to get out hiking and to take photos. But I have a cane now and nothing today could hold me back from getting out along the river to enjoy the spectacular - and unprecedented for March - spring weather.

I wiggled my toes in the freezing river which is raging with melted snow from the far north. Got my first mosquito and black fly bites, sited the first crocus.  The strawberry leaves along the river road are breaking through the forest cover and the gone-wild lilac leaves are greening and waiting to burst open - maybe even tonight. Also saw the unmistakable prints of a bear probably out for a spring walk to get the kinks out of his / her limbs from a long winter slumber and hunting for food - no doubt there are little ones to be fed waiting in the winter den.  To me, this is the best part of spring - warm days, very chilly nights and lots of hope for beautiful long summer days ahead.

Hopefully tomorrow I can manage the camera too and I will take some pictures for you of our very lovely and most welcome 'spring break' here in Muskoka!

Cheers,
Gillian
Thanks for walking with me along the footpath.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back Gillian!
    I've missed your walks and photos!
    Enjoy the spring weather!
    Cheers,
    Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malcolm, it's great to hear from you. How are you? I hope you are enjoying our early spring. The past week has been beyond wonderful!!

      Thanks for the encouragement. I'm a little wobbly on my legs these days but I do intend to get out every single day for mini-hikes down the river.

      Delete

What do you think?